Recipe by PrimQuilter
A Kansas City restaurant called Stephenson's Apple Farm is known for these. This recipe is a clipping I had from a newspaper from who knows when. Could be their actual recipe or a very good copycat ! Custom yield is 1 batch. Please make any size your family prefers.
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup apple, finely chopped
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 orange, juice, rind and all
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Place entire orange in blender and chop finely.
- Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine milk, melted butter and egg, mixing slightly.
- Add apples, orange and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
- Stir dry ingredients into milk mixture with a spoon until blended.
- Do not over mix !
- Preheat oil in fryer to 350 degrees.
- Drop batter off end of teaspoon into hot oil.
- Turn once for even browning.
- Cool slightly and roll in powdered sugar.