Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
From Cooking Light September 2006
Make and share this Steel-Cut Oat Risotto With Butternut Squash and Mushrooms recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups diced peeled butternut squash (about 1/2 small squash)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 (14 ounce) cans reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3⁄4 cup grated fresh parmigiano-reggiano cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter
- 4 cups sliced cremini mushrooms (about 1 pound)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh coarse ground black pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- SQUASH: Combine squash, olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon sage, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and dash of pepper in a jelly-roll pan; toss well to coat.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown, stirring every 7 minutes.
- Set aside; keep warm.
- RISOTTO: Bring 1 1/2 cups water and broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm.
- Heat a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until golden.
- Add oats; cook 3 minutes or until oats become fragrant and begin to brown, stirring constantly.
- Add wine; cook 1 minute or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.
- Stir in 1 cup broth mixture; cook 4 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minutes).
- Remove risotto from heat; stir in 1/2 cup cheese, 2 teaspoons sage, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt; sauté 3 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown.
- Stir in squash; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.
- Spoon about 2/3 cup risotto into each of 6 bowls; top each serving with 1/2 cup mushroom mixture, 2 teaspoons cheese, and coarsely ground pepper, if desired.
I always have steel cut oats at home since I use them to make crock-pot steel cut oats. I like that I was able to use them to make a lunch/dinner dish with them. Considering I am not the best cook this recipe was super easy. The only thing I'd change is that I'd probably cut down the amount of onion that I use next time. I can never get the onion to not be so crunchy and noticeable. I forgot to get mushrooms but had everything else. I bet it's even yummier with the mushrooms. Can't wait to try to make this again.