Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I cut the out of a magazine and had it saved where no one could see it.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- 6 lbs mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- 1 cup water
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy saucepan.
- Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until just softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and crushed red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add wine and bring to a boil.
- Add the mussels and about a cup of water.
- Cover and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the mussels open, 8-10 minutes.
- Discard any mussels that don't open.
- Spoon the mussels and broth into bowls and serve.