Gourmet | September 2004
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 dried shiitake mushrooms (1 to 1 1/4 oz)
- 2 cups boiling-hot water
- 2 1/2 lbs skinless chicken thighs (bone-in)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chinese rice wine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 lbs baby bok choy, trimmed, halved lengthwise, and washed well (6 to 8)
- 1Soak shiitakes in boiling-hot water in a bowl until softened, about 30 minutes. Cut out and discard stems, then squeeze excess liquid from caps and discard soaking liquid.
- 2Hack each chicken thigh crosswise through bone into thirds with cleaver.
- 3Stir together soy sauce, rice wine, cornstarch, sesame oil, and salt in a large bowl until smooth, then add chicken, mushroom caps, scallions, and ginger and toss well to coat. Marinate at room temperature, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- 4Put rack into wok and add enough water to reach just below it. (If using a steamer insert, use approximately 4 inches of water.) Cover wok (or skillet) and bring water to a boil.
- 5Transfer chicken mixture to pie plate and put in wok (or skillet), then steam, covered, stirring once, until chicken is just cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- 6While chicken is steaming, cook bok choy, uncovered, in a 4- to 6-quart pot of (unsalted) boiling water until just tender, 7 to 9 minutes, then drain in a colander.
- 7Carefully remove pie plate from wok. Arrange bok choy around edge of a large deep platter and spoon chicken and sauce in center.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steamed Chicken With Black Mushrooms and Bok Choy
Serving Size: 1 (626 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.3
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 235.5 mg
- Sodium 1657.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 61.5 g