Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Gourmet | September 2004
Make and share this Steamed Chicken With Black Mushrooms and Bok Choy recipe from Food.com.
- 12 dried shiitake mushrooms (1 to 1 1/4 oz)
- 2 cups boiling-hot water
- 2 1⁄2 lbs skinless chicken thighs (bone-in)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chinese rice wine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 lbs baby bok choy, trimmed, halved lengthwise, and washed well (6 to 8)
- Soak shiitakes in boiling-hot water in a bowl until softened, about 30 minutes. Cut out and discard stems, then squeeze excess liquid from caps and discard soaking liquid.
- Hack each chicken thigh crosswise through bone into thirds with cleaver.
- Stir together soy sauce, rice wine, cornstarch, sesame oil, and salt in a large bowl until smooth, then add chicken, mushroom caps, scallions, and ginger and toss well to coat. Marinate at room temperature, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Put rack into wok and add enough water to reach just below it. (If using a steamer insert, use approximately 4 inches of water.) Cover wok (or skillet) and bring water to a boil.
- Transfer chicken mixture to pie plate and put in wok (or skillet), then steam, covered, stirring once, until chicken is just cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- While chicken is steaming, cook bok choy, uncovered, in a 4- to 6-quart pot of (unsalted) boiling water until just tender, 7 to 9 minutes, then drain in a colander.
- Carefully remove pie plate from wok. Arrange bok choy around edge of a large deep platter and spoon chicken and sauce in center.