Steamed Chicken With Black Mushrooms and Bok Choy
- Soak shiitakes in boiling-hot water in a bowl until softened, about 30 minutes. Cut out and discard stems, then squeeze excess liquid from caps and discard soaking liquid.
- Hack each chicken thigh crosswise through bone into thirds with cleaver.
- Stir together soy sauce, rice wine, cornstarch, sesame oil, and salt in a large bowl until smooth, then add chicken, mushroom caps, scallions, and ginger and toss well to coat. Marinate at room temperature, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Put rack into wok and add enough water to reach just below it. (If using a steamer insert, use approximately 4 inches of water.) Cover wok (or skillet) and bring water to a boil.
- Transfer chicken mixture to pie plate and put in wok (or skillet), then steam, covered, stirring once, until chicken is just cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- While chicken is steaming, cook bok choy, uncovered, in a 4- to 6-quart pot of (unsalted) boiling water until just tender, 7 to 9 minutes, then drain in a colander.
- Carefully remove pie plate from wok. Arrange bok choy around edge of a large deep platter and spoon chicken and sauce in center.