Chef #553578's Note:
This recipe is taken from the Rachael Ray Express meals cookbook. I thought since almost every recipe she has is on this website and this one wasn't. It needed to be. My husband and I love this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -2 1/4 lbs red or white boiling potatoes
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 Delmonico steaks, 1 inch (ribeye with the bone)
- McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen corn kernels
- 2 ounces cream cheese, at room temp
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 limes, both zested, one juiced, the other cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1Place the potatoes in a medium- sized sauce pot, add enough water to cover them by an inch or two, and place over high heat to bring it up to a boil. Boil potatoes for about 12 minutes, or until they are fork tender.
- 2To start the corn relish, preheat a medium-size skillet over medium heat with 2 tablespoons of EVOO, twice around the pan. Add the onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin,sugar,salt, and pepper. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions start to take on a golden color and are nice and tender.
- 3While the onions for the corn relish are cooking preheat a large skillet over medium heat with the remaining 2 tablespoons of EVOO. Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel, and season liberally with the grill seasoning. Add the steaks to the hot skillet and cook on each side for 4 to 5 minutes for rare, or 5 to 6 minutes for medium. Remove then from the skillet and let the steaks rest, loosely covered with foil, for about 5 minutes.
- 4Once you have the steaks going, get back to the corn relish. Add the chicken stock and bring the liquid to a bubble. Add the corn and continue to cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until the liquids have reduced by half.
- 5Check on the boiling potatoes. If tender, drain, and return to the hot pot. Smash the potatoes with the masher and combine them with the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and the scallions. Season with a little salt and pepper. Remash, taste, and adjust the seasonings.
- 6To the corn relish add the lime zest and juice and the cilantro. Stir to combine and taste the relish to adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- 7Squeeze a quarter of a lime over each of the rested steaks. Serve the steaks with a large helping of the tangy corn relish and a big mound of the super smashed suds.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steaks With Tangy Corn Relish and Super Cheese and Scallion Smas
Serving Size: 1 (586 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 759.0
- Calories from Fat 357
- Total Fat 39.7 g
- Saturated Fat 17.4 g
- Cholesterol 77.6 mg
- Sodium 568.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 25.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: