Prep 12 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This is one of my favorite flavor combinations. Perfect for a romatic meal (with leftovers) or for a fancy barbeque with your favorite friends! Prep time includes marinating the steaks overnight.
For the steak
- 6 (8 ounce) steaks
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 tablespoons soy sauce
For the onions
- 3 medium onions (sweet Vidalia, regular white or red)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- Prepare steak: Marinate the steak overnight in the refrigerator with the garlic, rosemary, olive oil and soy sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare onions: Peel the onions and slice them 3/4-inch thick.
- In heavy saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Arrange onion disks in pan in a single layer so they all touch the bottom.
- Cook for 6 to 8 minutes without turning, until brown on one side.
- Add sugar, salt and pepper.
- Turn the onion disks over without separating them.
- Cook on the other side for 6 to 8 minutes.
- When brown, add half the vinegar and reduce until nearly evaporated.
- Stir the onions, separating them into rings.
- Add remaining vinegar to the pan and cook until almost evaporated.
- Remove onions from pan and allow to cool.
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper, and grill on both sides to desired doneness (about 8 minutes total for medium rare).
- Slice steak and arrange on plate, garnished with the onions.
Great flavor combination. The steaks tasted great with the onions. I will have to make this again since there were no leftovers. Great recipe!