Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
You won't find this stuff in "Aisle 8 - Condiments and Sauces"!
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb fresh rhubarb or 1 -1 1⁄2 lb frozen rhubarb, finely chopped
- 1 lb onion, finely chopped
- 12 fluid ounces vinegar
- 3⁄4 lb brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place all the ingredients in a large saucepan, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour or until desired thickness is achieved, stirring occasionally.
- If you desire a smoother texture, purée the sauce when cooled.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Store refrigerated.
I was in need of a worsteshire sauce replacement and used this recipe. I only changed one ingrdient the rhubarb, as I didn't have any. I did though have some fresh cranberries on hand and used a couple of handfulls of those since they to are tart and make a nice red color. Worked out great! Thanks so much! Oh, and I pureed it first and then cooked.
Oh! I forgot...I put a little red food coloring in to give it a more rhubarby color...my rhubarb is the mostly green variety. francie