Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
An elagant and delicious way to prepare steak. Suitable for any dinner party or romantic meal.
- 4 large shell steaks, about 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1⁄2 lb parma prosciutto
- 1⁄2 lb aged provolone cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato pesto (recipe follows)
- 1 cup minced shallot
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 bottle ruby port (must be ruby port, other types of port won't work)
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine (merlot, zinfandel work well)
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can beef broth or 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can beef stock
- 2 -3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 large portabella mushroom caps, sliced into strips
- 3⁄4 cup butter
For Sun dried Tomato Pesto
- 2 cups packed basil leaves
- 1⁄3 cup pignolis (pine nuts)
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄3 cup romano cheese
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup reconstituted sun-dried tomato (dried tomatoes soaked 30 minutes in hot water, then drained and patted dry)
For Merlot Caramelized Onions
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons golden brown sugar
- 1 cup merlot or 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar or 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- In a 3 or 4 quart saucepan, sauté the shallots in butter over medium high heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add ruby port and dry red wine and boil 5 minutes.
- Add beef broth and rosemary and boil until reduced to about 2/3 cup (45 min.- 1 hr).
- Strain and set aside.
- Slice each steak in the center of one edge to form a large pocket, like a pita bread.
- Smear about 2 Tb sun dried tomato pesto in each pocket, then stuff with 2 slices of provolone and 3-4 slices prosciutto.
- Keep the stuffed steaks together with toothpicks.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, sauté the mushroom slices in 1/2 stick of butter, adding more butter as needed (mushrooms should be cooked through and dark).
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place a large pan or dish in the oven large enough to hold the steaks.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet and brown steaks on both sides.
- Move the steaks to the pan in the oven and cook until desired doneness.
- The skillet should contain brown bits from the meat, which contain a lot of flavor.
- To the skillet from step 5, add strained sauce and cook on low, stirring to get the brown bits up from the bottom of the skillet, 3-4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in several Tbsp cold butter (adjust texture of sauce), season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, create a bed of merlot caramelized onions (see below) on a plate.
- Place steak on the onions and pour sauce over the steak.
- To make Sun dried Tomato Pesto: Finely chop basil, pignoli, salt and garlic in a food processor.
- With the processor running, add oil in a slow steady stream.
- Add tomatoes to taste (puree until fine).
- Transfer to bowl and fold in cheese.
- To make Merlot Caramelized Onions: Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add onions and cook until deep golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to medium, add sugar and sauté 5 minutes.
- Increase heat, add wine and vinegar and boil until almost no liquid remains.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.