Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
At the Iowa State Fair they serve everything and anything you can think of on a stick.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless beef top sirloin steaks, cut 1 inch thick
- 1⁄3 cup prepared Italian dressing
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 medium green bell peppers (use one of each color for a more colorful meal) or 2 medium red bell peppers, each cut lengthwise into quarters (use one of each color for a more colorful meal)
- 2 medium onions, each cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices
- 8 medium flour tortillas, warmed
- prepared salsa
- Soak eight 9-inch bamboo skewers in enough water to cover for 10 minutes; drain.
- Trim fat from beef steak.
- Cut steak crosswise into 1/2-inch thick strips.
- Thread an equal amount of beef, weaving back and forth, onto each skewer.
- In small bowl, combine dressing and lime juice, mixing well; brush onto beef, pepper and onions.
- Place vegetables on grill grid over medium ash-covered coals; grill peppers uncovered 12 to 15 minutes and onions 15 to 20 minutes or until tender, turning both twice.
- Approximately 10 minutes before vegetables are done, move vegetables to outer edge of grid.
- Place beef in center of grid; grill 8 to 10 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning once.
- Season beef with salt, as desired; remove beef from skewers.
- Serve beef and vegetables in tortillas with salsa.
This was a simple and quick way to have eveything cooked at once for fajitas. I used chicken instead of beef (personal prefrence) and marinated mine in the lime and dressing in a bowl for a couple of hours... I personally missed the flavor of garlic and cummin in traditional ones but these were a fun change..thanks.