Recipe by English_Rose
A warming casserole dish that can also be turned into a pie. Delicious and easy to make too. This dish can easily be turned into a delicious pie. Just spoon the meat and some of the gravy into a pie dish, top with ready-rolled puff pastry then glaze with beaten egg - pierce the top to allow steam to escape. Bake at 400ºF for 25-30 mins until the pastry has risen and is golden. Serve with the rest of the gravy.
- 2 lbs lean braising steak, diced
- 8 ounces lambs kidneys or 8 ounces beef kidneys, trimmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons seasoned flour
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 8 ounces baby onions
- 2 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 8 ounces mushrooms, wiped and halved
- 4 slices French bread
- 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Toss the steak and kidney in the seasoned flour. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and fry the meat, in batches, until browned all over, adding more oil as necessary. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a casserole dish.
- Fry the onions in the frying pan for 5 mins, then stir in the stock and bay leaf. Bring to the boil then pour over the meat. Cover tightly and cook for 1hr 30 mins - 2 hrs until the meat's almost tender.
- Blend the cornstarch with 2tbsp water and stir into the casserole. Add the mushrooms and return to the oven for 20 minutes
- Spread the slices of French bread with the mustard. Uncover the casserole and sit the rounds of bread on top of the meat. Cook, uncovered, for a further 10 mins until the toasts are crisp. Serve with steamed green beans, if liked.