I made this one night and it was very good. My girlfriend is a low-carber and so she ate it out of a bowl, but she loved it! Measurements are estimates.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small green peppers or 1 small other bell pepper
- 236.59 ml baby portabella mushrooms or 236.59 ml button mushroom, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 small garlic clove
- 226.79 g leftover london broil beef or 226.79 g other steak, sliced across the grain and then cut into bite size pieces
- 2 slice deli provolone cheese
- 2 slice deli American cheese
- 56.69 g monterey jack pepper cheese
- olive oil or canola oil
- 2 crusty rolls or 2 Italian bread or 2 French bread
- 14.79 ml of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 0.19 ml habanero sauce
Any or all of the following
- 1Heat small amount of oil to medium heat in skillet and add veggies in following order: peppers, mushrooms, onions and garlic. All veggies should be cooked but not mushy or too browned. Remove and set aside.
- 2Add meat and cook until warmed and slightly browned. Cook till just slightly short of desired doneness.
- 3Meanwhile toast rolls if desired and assemble with condiments and fixings.
- 4Stir in sauteed vegetable mixture, BBQ sauce and hot sauce. (The sauces should be added in small amounts; the idea is just to enhance the flavor. Of course, you can do whatever you want!).
- 5Gather skillet contents into shape of bread and layer cheeses on top. Cover briefly until melted.
- 6Transfer to rolls and serve immediately.
- 7Lower carb version: omit rolls or use low-carb wraps.
- 8Lower fat version: use cooking spray instead of oil, make sure excess fat is trimmed from meat, and use low or non-fat cheese.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steak and Cheese Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (368 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 639.4
- Calories from Fat 273
- Total Fat 30.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 127.3 mg
- Sodium 1000.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 48.3 g