Recipe by JMS0173
I made this one night and it was very good. My girlfriend is a low-carber and so she ate it out of a bowl, but she loved it! Measurements are estimates.
- 1 small green peppers or 1 small other bell pepper
- 236.59 ml baby portabella mushrooms or 236.59 ml button mushroom, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 small garlic clove
- 226.79 g leftover london broil beef or 226.79 g other steak, sliced across the grain and then cut into bite size pieces
- 2 slice deli provolone cheese
- 2 slice deli American cheese
- 56.69 g monterey jack pepper cheese
- olive oil or canola oil
- 2 crusty rolls or 2 Italian bread or 2 French bread
- 14.79 ml of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 0.19 ml habanero sauce
Any or all of the following
- mayonnaise or mustard or ketchup or lettuce or tomatoes or pickles or olives or raw onions or jalapeno, etc
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat small amount of oil to medium heat in skillet and add veggies in following order: peppers, mushrooms, onions and garlic. All veggies should be cooked but not mushy or too browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add meat and cook until warmed and slightly browned. Cook till just slightly short of desired doneness.
- Meanwhile toast rolls if desired and assemble with condiments and fixings.
- Stir in sauteed vegetable mixture, BBQ sauce and hot sauce. (The sauces should be added in small amounts; the idea is just to enhance the flavor. Of course, you can do whatever you want!).
- Gather skillet contents into shape of bread and layer cheeses on top. Cover briefly until melted.
- Transfer to rolls and serve immediately.
- Lower carb version: omit rolls or use low-carb wraps.
- Lower fat version: use cooking spray instead of oil, make sure excess fat is trimmed from meat, and use low or non-fat cheese.