Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is the best Stew and so easy! Wonderful recipe for fall and winter. Wonderful for a working mother! This recipe came from my husbands family and I am so glad that my mother in law shared this with us! I serve this with tossed green salad and homemade rolls. Yum!
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) can tiny peas (use pea juice also)
- 1 cup sliced carrot (lengthwise)
- 2 onions, cut up
- 1 -2 stalk sliced celery (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms (use juice) (optional) or 2 (8 ounce) cans mushrooms (use juice) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup, thin with 1/2 cup water
- 1 large raw potato
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- Put all together in large casserole dish.
- Pour soup and pea juice over top of ingredients.
- Make sure to have a good fitting lid for your casserole dish.
- Cook for 5 hours at 275 to 300°F.
- You may also use a crock pot to cook this on high for 5 approx hours or low for approx 10 hours.
This has a great flavor. I put it in the crockpot before I left for work and it was perfect when I got home that evening. I used tenderized beef stew meat (which just about melted in your mouth) and I left out the peas and mushrooms because of personal taste. I doubled the amount of soup to compensate for the juices from the peas and mushrooms that I left out. My husband raved about it (which means it is really good!) I highly recommend this recipe!
This certainly is a great tasting stew and so easy to make. I used frozen peas and fresh mushrooms in mine and left out the celery.
hi my name is nancy, the recipe came out in 1965 in the "the two too twins" book. i received the book from a friend when i had twins. the orignal did not have the mushrooms but i will try it with them when i make it this week. also i use a crockpot. this is the only recipe i have used for over 40 years. enjoy