Recipe by lonetree1353
This is a low fat chicken pie with a nice biscuit crust from a cookbook called Looneyspoons.
Top Review by MsYumiBr
This recipe is so good, we all had seconds! I used the new roasted garlic mushroom soup by Campbell's. The only thing I suggest is to TASTE the filling to see if it needs something. I didn't add any salt to it (I didn't season the chicken) and it was a bit on the bland side. This is definitely a keeper and I'm planning to use it for the leftover turkey this year!!!
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth ((reduced fat)
- 1 1⁄2 cups potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup sliced green beans ((cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 (10 ounce) can low-fat cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts ((about 3/4 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil and ground thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray large saucepan with non-stick spray. Add onions and garlic, cooking over medium heat until tender.
- Add broth, potatoes, carrots, and beans, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer for 12 minutes. Potatoes should be slightly undercooked. Remove from heat.
- In small bowl, stir together mushroom soup and flour. Add to the vegetables, along with chicken, parsley and spices, stir well. Pour into a medium casserole dish.
- For crust combine flour, baking powder, sage and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk.
- Form a ball with the dough. More flour can be added if the dough is too sticky.
- Roll out on a floured surface to fit the top of the casserole. Place dough over chicken mixture and prick several times with a fork.
- Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes, until crust is golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.