Prep 3 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Dad's favorite cookie
Make and share this Starlight Sugar Crisps recipe from Food.com.
- 1 compressed yeast cake
- 1⁄4 cup water, very warm
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- Soften yeast in water (can use one packet or 2 1/4 tsp bulk).
- Sift flour with salt.
- Cut in butter and shortening.
- Blend in eggs, sour cream, 1 tsp vanilla, and yeast mixture. Mix well.
- Cover; chill at least 2 hours. Dough may be stored in refrigerator up to 4 days.
- Mix sugar and remaining vanilla.
- Sprinkle board with about 1/2 cup of mixture.
- Roll out half of dough to a 16x8 inch rectangle; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon more vanilla sugar.
- Fold one end of dough over center. Fold opposite end over to make 3 layers. Turn 1/4 way around and repeat rolling and folding twice, sprinkling board with vanilla sugar as needed.
- Roll out about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into 4x1 inch strips; twist each strip 2 or 3 times.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Repeat entire process with remaining dough.
- Bake at 375 for 14 minutes until light golden brown.