Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here is a simple recipe for the Irish blood in everyone. These St. Patrick's Day Shamrock Sugar Cookies give a kick to the classic sugar cookie recipe and come in the shape of a beloved green clover. Whip them up for this St. Patrick's Day or anytime you want a fun way to cure your sweet tooth.
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon green food coloring
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- Set the bowl aside for now.
- Cut up the butter into small chunks and put in a medium-sized microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds on high.
- Remove bowl from microwave and stir in sugar until creamy and smooth.
- Add eggs into mixture one at a time, until fluffy.
- Add shredded coconut to wet mixture and stir until evenly dispersed.
- Add vanilla and lemon extract to mixture.
- Pour in green food dye and mix until the mixture is an even shade of green.
- Mix wet mixture into the dry mix bowl about a quarter at a time until empty.
- Knead with your hands about 5 minutes until dough is smooth and roll into ball.
- Put in bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll dough into small balls of about 2 tablespoons of dough.
- Take three of the dough balls and gently push together into a shamrock shape.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet about half an inch apart.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before eating.