Recipe by Olha
If the sauce is sugar or tomato based bake the chicken first. That way you only have to brown and flavour the chicken on the barbecue, and it won’t burn. The chicken is also good just baked; the final grilling step is optional.
ST LUCIA BARBECUE SAUCE
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained and pureed 796 mL
- 1 cup finely chopped pineapple
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 hot fresh chili peppers, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 lbs skinless chicken pieces, bone in
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan, combine all ingredients except chicken. Bring to boil and cook for 15 minutes, uncovered. Sauce should be thick. Cool.
- Pat chicken pieces dry and coat with sauce. Place meaty side up in baking dish and bake in preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes.
- If you want to barbecue chicken, remove chicken from baking dish, transfer sauce to saucepan and boil until thick. Barbecue chicken for 5 to 10 minutes per side, brushing with reduced sauce. If you aren’t barbecuing, simply bake chicken for 10 to 20 minutes longer in sauce, or until thoroughly cooked.
- Bonnie Stern Simply HeartSmart Cooking.