Delightful dish to serve with a hot curry. Easy to cook as tinned pineapple is used in this dish. You could serve this as a desert, it is not very spicy. I prefer it with a good chicken curry. Coconut milk defines this dish firmly as Sri Lankan.
- 19 ounces pineapple chunks, drained (keep the juice)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 hot green peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black mustard seeds
- 6 curry leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 inch cube fresh gingerroot, grated
- 1⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions and green peppers till just soft.
- Now add all of the ingredients EXCEPT for the coconut milk and sugar. Stir well to blend and coat the pineapple with the spices. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add half of the pineapple juice to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the sugar and coconut milk, simmer 2 minutes.
- Take off of the heat.
- Serve hot or cold as a side dish for your curry.