Prep 15 hrs
Cook 2 mins
This was adapted from a magazine recipe; other greens, such as mustard greens can be subbed for the turnip greens.Use vegetable stock for vegetarian.
- 1 lb dried cannellini beans (soaked in 6 cups water overnight)
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 head garlic, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 4 (10 ounce) cans chicken stock
- 1 lb turnip greens, torn into pieces (well rinsed)
- salt and pepper
- Drain the soaked beans.
- In a large saucepan, combine the beans, 8 cups water, 2 tbsps olive oil, the head of garlic and bay leaf.
- Bring to boil and simmer, covered for 2 hours,or until the beans are tender.
- Drain and discard bay leaf.
- In the same saucepan heat remaining 2 tbsps olive oil.
- Add onion and cook until tender.
- Add sliced garlic, sage, cumin, and red pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the squash, chicken broth, turnip greens and drained beans.
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 20 mins or until squash is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Pretty bland. Feels like it's missing something...