Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is from "The Mississippi Cookbook." Recipe submitted by Mrs. Eal Johnson of McComb, MS.
- 2 cups squash, cooked
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups cracker crumbs
- Put squash and onion in 2-quart saucepan with enough water to cover.
- Boil until tender, drain, and mash.
- Add other ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into a well-buttered 2-quart casserole dish and bake for 40 minutes at 375 degrees.
I can't believe no one else has tried this gem of a recipe! I made it with a mix of yellow crookneck and zuchinni (sp). Used crushed ritz crackers for the topping....it was melt in your mouth delicious! Very flavorful, easy to make and you taste all the ingredients including the freshness of the squash...nothing is really overpowered. True Southern cooking at its best. Will be making this often. Thanks for sharing.