Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
The ultimate southern living cookbook page 463
- 2 lbs yellow squash, sliced
- 1 cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄4 cups round buttery cracker crumbs (18 crackers)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- combine squash and water to cover in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. drain well, and mash; set aside.
- sautÉ onion in butter until tender. combine onion, squash, ¾ cup cracker crumbs, cheese and remaining 5 ingredients. spoon into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole or an 11x7-inch basking dish. sprinkle with remaining ½ cracker crumbs. bake, uncovered at 350 for 45 minutes.
I love squash casserole & this one has a little spice to it, a little different but very good. The pimento was something I haven't had in a squash casserole before but I liked it.