Recipe by Leslie Ellis
I got this recipe from my grandmother. It is one of my favorites and to top it off easy!
Top Review by arolfsen
i loved this recipe. everyone wants me to make one for them since they can't figure out how to keep theirs from separating. I did make one with half squash and half zucchini and it came out just as good. but i tried the onion flakes first... its not strong enough for the casserole so i would stick with the real onion.
- 1 lb cooked squash, mashed
- 1 large onion, chopped (I use onion flakes)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup butter (I don't use as much butter)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 8 -10 crackers, finely crumbled
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook squash and onion until tender; drain.
- Mash until fine.
- Add salt, pepper, cheese, butter, egg yolks, milk and crackers.
- (I have just added onion flakes to this mixture instead of cooking the onion and squash together. Just personal preference.) Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into buttered casserole; bake at 350 degrees, until brown and firm (about 30 minutes).
- Serve hot.