Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I wanted some corn dogs and I wanted to keep them on the healthy side so I made these up! They're square-shaped corn dogs and baked instead of fried but they're good! Try not to use a Ball Park or bigger franks because this batter is made for the turkey dogs which are skinnier so the batter just cooks around the dog. I hope you like them!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl then stir in the milk, oil, and egg.
- Mix until dry ingredients are just moistened then pour batter into a greased 8X8 glass baking dish. Spread batter across the dish. (batter will be shallow).
- Place turkey dogs into batter and wiggle them a little to coat with batter. NOTE: You can place a toothpick into each dog before baking so you can easily cut them out after the batter bakes around them!
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let dish cool for about a minute then cut around each hot dog and lift out carefully with a spatula.
- Place on a stick or just eat! Serve with ketchup or mustard.
Ok, coming from a "diet nazi" who hasn't had a corndog in like 6 years...OH MY GOODNESS! So good. I made some changes to lower the calories. I skipped the oil, used sugar substitute, egg white only, and unsweetened almond milk. I didn't put sticks in, just baked them, cut them out, and dipped in mustard. YUM.
These were okay. All three of my kids preferred to pull the hotdog out of the breading and ate just that, but I think it was a texture thing. The cornmeal gave them "crunchies" the kids didn't like. They eat cornmeal on pizza crust, and cornbread muffins so I didn't expect this. At any rate, the batter didn't cover my 8 Ball Park Frank fat free hot dogs. I think fewer hotdogs in a couple of loaf pans might be better to cover it. Also, I know this was trying to be healthy, but I might increase the sugar amount just a TAD to make it closer to a real corndog. If I try this again, I might try yellow corn flour next time and see how that works out. Good recipe, it just needs tweeking.
These were so quick and easy to put together! I'm addicted to corn dogs but trying to eat healthy, so these were the perfect way to get my fix. I've made this several times now, and it comes out well every time. Thank you for this recipe, we really enjoy it!