Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
This is a variation of one of my favorite salads and is SO incredibly healthy that I get to feel superior when I eat it. ;o) You can use a variety of sprouts; my favorites are mung beans and lentils. The spiciness can be adjusted by altering the chili/jalapeno amount. Some versions of this salad call for cooking the sprouts in a little water for 2 minutes, but I always use them raw - love the crunch! Time doesn't include sprouting your beans/lentils.
Top Review by PTForMe95
I came across this incredibly HEALTHY salad while looking for something to use my freshly sprouted mung beans in. Nice sharp flavors together balance the earthy taste of the sprouts. I altered it slightly by using lime juice and added chopped ginger (cuz I love it). Also I didn't have cilantro but used flat leaf parsley instead, mainly for color. I think cilantro would have been better. Recommend to check for 'unspouted beans' when making this, as they are an occaisonal unpleasant crunch.
- 3 cups fresh mung bean sprouts
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 green chili peppers or 1⁄2 jalapeno, finely minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 minced tomatoes, seeds and juice removed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large pinch fresh ground pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the chili, onion, tomato, lemon juice, sugar (if using), salt and pepper together in a large bowl.
- Add the sprouts to the chili mixture, gently combine, then fold in the cilantro.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until required. Serve chilled.