Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I realize the only vegetable here that makes it's appearance in Spring, would be chives. However, the bright colours of this salad always remind me of the season where everything starts new. This is a wonderfully light pasta salad. A perfect accompaniment for a backyard BBQ. It's also wonderful on it's own for lunch or supper on a hot night. Cooking time does not include the time for chilling.
- 2 1⁄2 cups noodles, I use No Yolks brand
- 1⁄2 cup corn niblets, frozen
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups broccoli, flowerets
- 1 cup carrot, match stick style
- 1⁄4 cup chives, fresh chopped
- 1⁄2 cup salad dressing, I prefer Miracle Whip Calorie Wise
- 1⁄4 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon summer savory
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cook noodles in boiling salted water until al-dente. Drain and rinse in cool water.
- Place drained noodles in a large bowl and add the next five ingredients. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients. Adjust salt if needed.
- Pour dressing onto the noodle/vegetable mix and toss to coat.
- Chill for several hours before serving.
This salad was a nice change from the potato salads served along side our campfire smokies on a resent fishing trip. Thanks Diana #2. [Made and reviewed for Recipe Swap #29, June 2009].
I couldn't find summer savory at any of the stores I went to... so I subbed thyme and majoram for it. Might be the lack of correct herbage, but I just... I don't know, it didn't seem to have much oomph. It was fine, but it wasn't, you know... super awesome and freaky. Maybe some garlic, or vinegar or mustard or something to give it just a little kick. Thanks, though, this will be lunch tomorrow! :) *** Edit: I did have this for lunch today, but with a spattering of Old Bay Seasoning. It seemed to give it that flavor I thought was missing before. I'm making more of this very soon. The Old Bay was the key.
Very good salad. I made this last week for DD's lunches and she enjoyed it very much.