Recipe by jennyblender
This is taken directly from Bon Apetite. It is very versatile and a wonderful spring-y soup--healthy too!
Top Review by krismiscook
I love this soup! Very flavorful. I think the meatballs are very tasty (you have to make sure to make small meatballs). I've made this recipe at least 5 times without alteration since I got the magazine in April.
- 6 ounces ground chicken (about 3/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 6 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese, divided, plus more for garnish
- 4 garlic cloves, 2 minced, 2 thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 large egg, whisked to blend
- kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, white and pale-green parts only, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup ditalini or 3⁄4 cup other small shell pasta
- 1 cup peeled carrot, cut in 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 cup packed Baby Spinach
- fresh basil, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix chicken, breadcrumbs, 3 tablespoons Parmesan, 2 minced garlic cloves, chives, egg, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Form into 1/2"-diameter meatballs (makes about 28).
- Heat oil in a small pot over medium heat. Cook meatballs until golden all over, about 3 minutes (they will finish cooking in soup). Transfer to a plate; set aside.
- Add leek to pot and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add 2 thinly sliced garlic cloves; cook for 1 minute. Add broth and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Stir in pasta and carrots; simmer until pasta is almost al dente, about 8 minutes. Add meatballs; simmer until pasta is al dente, carrots are tender, and meatballs are cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add spinach and remaining 3 tablespoons Parmesan; stir until spinach is wilted and Parmesan is melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with chopped basil and Parmesan.