Recipe by Bev
I love Spoon Bread! I love this recipe! From House & Garden.
Top Review by Miss Annie
Wonderful. It has been a long time since I had spoon bread, and this recipe tasted as I remember. So good!! I made it without changing anything, because the simple way is best. It came out of the oven looking so beautiful. Lots of butter, and ahhhhh! Thanks, Bev for this wonderful recipe to add to my T&T cookbook.
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour the milk into the upper part of a double boiler and cook over hot water until the milk almost reaches a boil.
- Add the cornmeal slowly, stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking and stirring until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- This should take only about 1 minute.
- Do not let the mixture get too thick.
- Add the salt and butter and remove from the heat to cool slightly.
- Beat the egg yolks until light and yellow and add to the cornmeal.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry and carefully fold into the cornmeal.
- Pour into a well-buttered casserole and bake in a 375°F.
- oven 35-40 minutes, or until well puffed and browned on top.
- Serve from the casserole and pass butter, salt and pepper.
- Serves 6.