4 hrs 15 mins
Ruth K - Psuedo Chef's Note:
From the back of a bag of yellow split peas. I love this recipe. Very flavorful and tasty. Worth the extra time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 11. In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over high heat. Add onions, carrots, garlic, and celery and saute until vegetables begin to brown, about 6 minutes.
- 22. Add ham hocks, chopped ham, bay leaves and water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 2 - 2 1/2 hours or until the ham is very tender.
- 33. Remove the ham hocks and bones. Shred meat into bite-sized pieces and return meat to stock. Discard bones, fat and gristle.
- 44. Add split peas and thyme. Simmer uncovered 1 hour 20 minutes or until peas dissolve and thicken soup.
- 55. Remove bay leaves. Serve with croutons.
- 6Additional Notes: Soup may be refrigerated for several days or frozen.
- 7Soup tends to be a bit salty depending on the ham you use. If you have really salty ham you may want to add a potato or two (chopped into bite size pieces) about an hour before the soup is finished.
- 8I use playtex gloves for handling the hot ham bones and shredding the meat so I don't have to wait for it to cool down.
- 9My family dislikes onions and celery so I leave the pieces particularly large and remove them when I remove the ham bones.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Split Pea Soup With Ham
Serving Size: 1 (639 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 416.9
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 34.0 mg
- Sodium 1006.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.6 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 34.0 g