Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Nice soup for cold weather. Adapted from the Wegman's magazine.
- 10 cups water
- 1 lb yellow split peas
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 2 tablespoons chicken soup base
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 stalks marjoram, chopped
- 3 stalks rosemary, chopped
- 3 stalks oregano, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 ounces ham, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring water, peas, barley, bay leaf and bullion to boil; reduce heat.
- Simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Stir in celery, carrots, onion and herbs; return to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until vegetables, peas and barley are tender.
- Stir in ham and pepper. Cook 5 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, season to taste with salt.