Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From Real Simple April 2006. I made this in the crockpot, and it worked very well. If you try it that way, I would suggest reducing the broth slightly or else adding in some instant mashed potato flakes (which is what I did) toward the end to thicken. I also added a diced potato to this and a bit of Liquid Smoke. I only pureed about half of this (using an immersion blender) and left the other half chunky. We really liked this soup.
- 1 lb split peas, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth or 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the peas in a large pot and add enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cover, remove from heat, and set aside for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, and bay leaf.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the peas and add them to the vegetables along with the broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently until the peas are softened, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Transfer some of the soup to a blender, filling it no more than halfway. Puree until smooth. Repeat with the remaining soup.
- Return the soup to the pot and place over medium heat until warmed through, about 10 minutes.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
I threw all the ingredients (minus the oil) in the slow cooker. It was watery, like you mentioned, but at the end, I just added 1 cup of mashed white beans. I've been vegan for quite awhile now, but due to the liquid smoke, it tasted like I was eating a pot roast :) I've never had split pea soup before, but I'll definitely have it again! Yum!