Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
I love split pea soup! The soup has different ingredients that I usually don't add to my soup but sounds yummy. Split peas can be yellow or green.
- 1 cup split peas
- 5 cups water
- 5 bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves, garli finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- grated parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Combine cubes, peas, water and salt and pepper. Bring to boil and simmer for 30 minutes. stirring occasionally.
- Brown sausage, celery, onion, pepper and garlic, add to soup and add wine.
- Simmer for 15 minutes to blend flavors and top with parmesan cheese.
This was terrific, but it was SUPER terrific reheated! I made it exactly as written. I loved the texture; not to thick and not too runny. This is a pleasant change from the usual split pea soups. Thanx!
Very interesting! I used green split peas, mild italian sausage, and beef bouillon to make this soup. It was a little salty but that was my fault for not tasting it first. The flavors go together well and the wine adds a touch of something you wouldn't expect in pea soup. After cooking for 45 minutes the peas are tender but I prefer them a bit more done. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT7-Italy.