Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
This is a very nice soup and a change from the regular split pea soup. I adapted it from Mediterranean: Food of the Sun.
- 1 cup split peas
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium zucchini, finely diced
- 4 cups water
- 3 teaspoons vegetable bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric or 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Soak the split pea overnight in cold water, or at least 6 hours.
- Cook the onion in the oil until soft. Add the zucchini to the pan stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the water, split pea, veg bouillon, tumeric, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, then cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the split peas are tender.
A good vegetarian soup, but I felt it could have more seasonings.