Split Pea and Barley Soup
- In a 4-quart pot, combine the water, onions, parsnip, parsley root, and garlic; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in the split peas and return to a boil.
- Decrease heat, cover, and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove the parsnip and parsley root from the pot; set aside.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat, and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour longer.
- Mash the parsnip and parsley root; stir into the soup.
- Variation--add 1/4 cup small dry pasta (such as small bowties, alphabets, or orzo) to the pot 12 minutes before the soup is finished cooking.