Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
In '1,000 Vegetarian Recipes' by Carol Gelles
Make and share this Split Pea and Barley Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled
- 1 parsley root, peeled
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3⁄4 cup green split peas or 3⁄4 cup yellow split peas, rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄3 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh celery leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a 4-quart pot, combine the water, onions, parsnip, parsley root, and garlic; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in the split peas and return to a boil.
- Decrease heat, cover, and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove the parsnip and parsley root from the pot; set aside.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat, and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour longer.
- Mash the parsnip and parsley root; stir into the soup.
- Variation--add 1/4 cup small dry pasta (such as small bowties, alphabets, or orzo) to the pot 12 minutes before the soup is finished cooking.