Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
A filling, flavoursome and freezeable pasta bake with ground beef, lots of cheese and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Any type of pasta shape works well for this recipe, including penne, macaroni and bows. To freeze: Prepare from steps 2-5, then allow mixture to cool completely. Cover thedish well and freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost, then bake, allowing a little extra cooking time.
- 6 ounces fusilli
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 sticks celery, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 14 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, more to taste if desired
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the topping
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 ounce all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Set the oven to 400°F
- Cook the pasta in boiling water for 10-14 mins, or as directed on the packet, until just tender, then drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan. Add the onion and cook it over a medium heat for 4-5 mins, until it starts to soften.
- Add ground beef and celery to pan and cook for a further 5-8 mins, stirring well so the meat browns all over.
- Add flour to the pan and cook for a further minute, stirring until the mixture has thickened, then stir in the tomatoes and 2/3 cup boiling water.
- Stir well while the mixture comes to the boil.
- Stir in stock cube, then add the Worcestershire sauce and seasoning to taste. Simmer for 2-3 minutes Remove the pan from heat and stir in drained pasta. Tip the mixture out into a gratin dish and level the surface.
- To make the topping, melt the butter in a pan and add flour.
- Cook for 1-2 mins until mixture forms a thick paste, then gradually pour in the milk, beating well and allowing mixture to come to the boil between each addition of liquid.
- Remove pan from heat and add mustard powder and half the cheese. Season to taste. Spoon sauce over pasta, spreading it to cover. Sprinkle remaining cheese over.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 30-40 mins, or until the mixture is golden on top and sizzling hot.
- Serve immediately.