Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This came from "The Creative Vegetarian Cookbook." I have daydreams about how amazingly wonderful the flavor of this dish was. When I made it, I used regular blue cheese instead of vegetarian. I've cut this recipe in half to serve 2.
- 2 cups spinach leaves, washed
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, freshly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vegetarian blue cheese, crumbled
- Wash the spinach and remove any tough stems.
- Place in a saucepan with just the water left from washing clinging to the leaves and cook over low heat until the spinach wilts, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the spinach to a plate and place another plate on top.
- Squeeze the plates together to remove excess water from the spinach.
- Melt the butter in the saucepan, add the spinach and the nutmeg, toss to coat.
- Stir in the walnuts and blue cheese.
- Serve immediately before the cheese melts completely.
Delicious indeed. The blue cheese and walnuts were very good addition to the spinach. I would more finely chop the walnuts next time just to have them more evenly mixed throughout.