1 hr 20 mins
This is a great tasting meatloaf that adds that important iron to your diet. This recipe was originally from the cookbook 1,000 Low Fat recipes by Terry Golson The preparation time does not include the resting time in the fridge. I like to get it ready the day before and then just pop it in the oven an hour before dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup fresh soft breadcrumbs (white or whole wheat)
- salt & pepper
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and very well squeezed
- 3/4 cup lowfat mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup ketchup (optional)
- 1Mix together the beef, egg whites, breadcrumbs salt& pepper, shallots garlic, worcestershire sauce& oregano.
- 2Use your hands to really combine the mixture.
- 3After you have squeezed as much moisture as you can from the spinach combine it with the cheese, nutmeg& season with salt& pepper.
- 4On a piece of plastic wrap or wax paper spread out the meat mixture in a rectangle apprx 12 x 8".
- 5Spread the spinach mixture on top leaving apprx 1/2" clear all around the meat edges.
- 6Using the paper (plastic) to help roll up the loaf starting from the 8" side.
- 7Press gently as you go to make sure you have a firmly rolled loaf.
- 8Press the outside edges together.
- 9Tightly wrap the meatloaf in plastic wrap (or wax paper) and refrigerate for at leat an hour (I make the loaf the day before and leave it rolled in the fridge over night to be baked the next day).
- 10Place the meatloaf on a roasting rack in a roasting pan and bake in a 350F oven for 1 hour.
- 11If you are using the ketchup spread it on top of the loaf before putting it in the oven.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach - Stuffed Meatloaf
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 368.2
- Calories from Fat 162
- Total Fat 18.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 110.5 mg
- Sodium 290.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 39.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lowfat mozzarella cheese