Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a great tasting meatloaf that adds that important iron to your diet. This recipe was originally from the cookbook 1,000 Low Fat recipes by Terry Golson The preparation time does not include the resting time in the fridge. I like to get it ready the day before and then just pop it in the oven an hour before dinner.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup fresh soft breadcrumbs (white or whole wheat)
- salt & pepper
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and very well squeezed
- 3⁄4 cup lowfat mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup (optional)
- Mix together the beef, egg whites, breadcrumbs salt& pepper, shallots garlic, worcestershire sauce& oregano.
- Use your hands to really combine the mixture.
- After you have squeezed as much moisture as you can from the spinach combine it with the cheese, nutmeg& season with salt& pepper.
- On a piece of plastic wrap or wax paper spread out the meat mixture in a rectangle apprx 12 x 8".
- Spread the spinach mixture on top leaving apprx 1/2" clear all around the meat edges.
- Using the paper (plastic) to help roll up the loaf starting from the 8" side.
- Press gently as you go to make sure you have a firmly rolled loaf.
- Press the outside edges together.
- Tightly wrap the meatloaf in plastic wrap (or wax paper) and refrigerate for at leat an hour (I make the loaf the day before and leave it rolled in the fridge over night to be baked the next day).
- Place the meatloaf on a roasting rack in a roasting pan and bake in a 350F oven for 1 hour.
- If you are using the ketchup spread it on top of the loaf before putting it in the oven.