1/4 Photos of Spinach Spoonbread
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Adapted from King Arthur Flour's "Miraculous Spinach Quiche" recipe. Cook time includes cooling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced (about one cup)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese (one 15 ounce container)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup egg substitute or 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and thoroughly wrung dry (or 1 cup fresh spinach which has been cooked, drained and chopped)
- 1 cup grated low-fat cheese (jalapeno or plain cheddar, Jarlsberg, or the low-fat cheese of your choice)
- 1In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and dry milk. Mix in the butter with a fork, a pastry blender, a mixer, or your fingers, till crumbly.
- 2Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 3Sauté the onion in the butter until it’s soft and becoming golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- 4In the meantime, add the ricotta, salt, egg substitute or eggs, spinach, and grated cheese to the large bowl.
- 5When the onions are almost done, stir in the thyme and nutmeg. Remove them from the heat, and add them to the large bowl.
- 6Mix everything together thoroughly, and spoon it into a greased pie pan. Spread with the sour cream. This is best done by dolloping the sour cream atop the filling, then using a spatula, or the back of a spoon, to smooth down and connect the dollops. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
- 7Bake the quiche for 50 to 55 minutes, or until it appears set almost all the way into the center, and has begun to brown slightly. It may crack, also; that’s OK.
- 8Remove it from the oven, and cool it on a rack for at least 20 minutes, preferably 30, before serving.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Spoonbread
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 390.1
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 66.7 mg
- Sodium 927.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 24.6 g