Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love all kinds of rice side dishes. This could also be a great main dish with a dinner salad. This uses a 2-qt casserole baking dish.
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped fine
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Cook rice in 1 1/2 cups water and olive oil according to package directions.
- Squeeze all of water out of thawed spinach and let set in colander while preparing other ingredients.
- In a large bowl beat eggs.
- Add milk, chopped onion, garlic, pepper and salt.
- Mix well.
- Add cooked rice, and drained spinach, stir well.
- Mix in cheddar cheese.
- Treat 2-qt casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
I changed this recipe a bit based on similar recipes I've made. I decreased the milk to 1/2 cup and the eggs to 2. It worked perfect for our tastes.
Made in memory of VickyJ. You'll be missed my friend.
I, too, love a good rice dish and this one's no exception. I made 5 1-cup individual servings baked for 30 minutes. Made for the 8th annual Photo Swap.