Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
I usually simplify Julia's recipes and omit some of the details, including using less fat, and they come out fabulous! For the quiche, use a pastry shell crust. For the gratin, omit the pastry crust.
- 1 (8 inch) pastry shells
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter (see note below) (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons green onions or 2 tablespoons regular onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated swiss cheese
- To partly bake the pastry shell: Bake in middle of oven at 400 degrees F. for 8-9 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place oven rack in upper third of oven.
- Saute onions briefly in butter; set aside.
- Beat together salt, eggs, nutmeg and pepper. Gradually stir in spinach mixture. Check seasoning.
- Pour into pastry shell. Sprinkle cheese on top. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until puffed and browned.