1/1 Photo of Spinach Pie - Spanakopita
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Cookin' in NJ's Note:
This recipe was given to my by my dear friend. She's Turkish and this is her family's recipe. I've made this several times and it always moves like hotcakes!! Everyone always asks me for the recipe so I'm posting it here.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 sheets phyllo dough, thawed (20 sheets)
- 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 16 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 -3 garlic cloves (depending on size and preference)
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided (2 tablespoons for spinach, 4 TBS melted for brushing Phyllo)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1Preheat oven to 325.
- 2Saute onion over medium heat in a large pan for about 5 minutes.
- 3Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- 4Add frozen spinach, 2 TBS butter, Lemon Juice, Nutmeg and Cinnamon.
- 5Saute until the spinach is thawed.
- 6Add pepper to taste.
- 7Saute for 5 more minutes.
- 8Turn off heat and let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- 9Cut spinach mixture into small pieces using either 2 knives or a spatula.
- 10Drain off any excess surface liquid. (Do not thouroughly press the liquid out of the spinach mixture as you want some substance moisture, just drain off enough so that it's not liquidy).
- 11Melt remaining 4TBS butter in a bowl or glass measuring cup.
- 12Brush the bottom and sides of a 9x13 baking dish with melted butter.
- 13Layer the dish with half of the phyllo dough (10 sheets) brushing every other layer with the melted butter.
- 14Spread the spinach mixture evenly over the phyllo dough.
- 15Top with crumbled feta cheese.
- 16Continue to layer with the rest of the phyllo dough (10 sheets) brushing every other layer with butter.
- 17Using a sharp knive cut the top layers of phyllo into squares. (Only cut through to the filling, DO NOT cut through the bottom layers of phyllo).
- 18Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- 19Remove foil and continue to bake until the top is golden brown (1/2 hour).
- 20Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- 21Cut through the bottom layers of phyllo and serve.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Pie - Spanakopita
Serving Size: 1 (137 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.2
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 50.9 mg
- Sodium 676.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 9.9 g