Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From "A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen", I have not made these yet but they looked promising.
- 2 medium ripe avocados, jalved, pitted, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 small chipotle chiles in adobo, minced, with 1 teaspoon sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (optional)
- 2 ounces Baby Spinach (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 64 inches flour tortillas
- 1 1⁄4 cups cheddar cheese or 1 1⁄4 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- For the salsa: Combine the avocados, cilantro, chiles, abobo sauce, lime.
- juice, and salt to taste in a small bowl. Mash with a fork until.
- completely combined but still a bit chunky. Set aside.
- For the quesadillas: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- until shimmering. Add the onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring.
- occasionally, until nicely browned, 12 to 15 minutes. (If using cumin.
- seeds, add them during the last 2 minutes so they will become fragrant.)
- Stir in the spinach and cook just until wilted, about 1 minute. Adjust.
- the seasonings, adding salt to taste. Set the spinach-onion mixture.
- Lay 4 tortillas on a work surface. Sprinkle the cheese over the.
- tortillas, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge of each tortilla.
- Divide the spinach-onion mixture evenly among tortillas. Top with the.
- remaining 4 tortillas.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the first quesadilla and.
- cook, turning once, until the tortillas are golden brown and the cheese.
- has melted, about 2 minutes. Transfer the quesadilla to a large plate and.
- repeat with the remaining quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into quarters.
- Spoon some salsa into the middle of each quesadilla and serve.