Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is from my mother, who cooked it in a cast iron skillet.
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) box Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach (thaw and squeeze out juice)
- 4 eggs
- 6 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup melted margarine (I use 1/4)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pour into greased baking 9x9" baking pan, or any other pan to a depth of no more than 1 1/2".
- (I cook this in a greased 9" cast-iron skillet).
- Bake at 375 deg F.
- for 30-50 min, until a knife stuck into the center comes out cleanly.
Love it, I cut the onions back to 1/2 cup diced finely. About the 3rd time I made it I added some feta cheese, awesome!
My husband said this is some of the best corn bread he's had! I did use the cast iron skillet but made a few modifications. I used fresh spinach that was on the verge of foing bad. I didn't have eggs so I subbed with 4 individual servings of natural apple sauce. For the cottage cheese I subbed with left over 4-6 ounces of ricotta cheese. I also used green onions. For a little extra oomph I stirred in pepper jack cheese cubes, yum, they added the right amount of heat. I served white chicken chili on top. So delicous! Great recipe.
I took the advise of one of the reviewers and added feta cheese. It was a hit at a recent chili cookoff. will definately make again as our family transitions to healthier choices. It was tasty!