Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Very elegant presentation, lovely color combination, subtly flavored. Make it the day before and pop into the oven the day of your dinner. Great chilled as a side dish on a buffet
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and sliced & steamed until tender, cool
- 1 lb frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed as dry as possible
- 1 tablespoon butter (or margarine)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 egg
- 5 egg whites
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Melt butter in skillet and sauté the garlic and onion until the onion is translucent; cool.
- Beat the egg and egg whites and divide into 2 equal portions.
- Heat oven to 350°F and spray veggie oil into a 1-quart loaf pan.
- Place parchment paper on the bottom of the pan, oiled (you can also use wax paper).
- Purée the carrots with half of the onions, garlic, egg mixture parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Purée until smooth and pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Purée the spinach with the remaining ingredients (half of the onions, garlic, egg and parmesan etc).
- Smooth the top of the loaf and place the loaf in a 9x13-inch ovenproof dish. Pour boiling water into the dish bringing the water level to about half way up the side of the loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let the loaf rest in the water bath for 20 minutes before unmolding.
- You may serve this loaf hot, room temp or chilled.