1/5 Photos of Spinach and Tomato Crescent Bread
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Festive and flavorful, this appealing loaf makes a welcome contribution to a holiday buffet table. Prep time includes rising time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup firmly packed spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups unsifted bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package fast-rising active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 1Prepare Dough: in 1-quart saucepan, heat milk until bubbles appear around side of pan; remove from heat and stir in spinach, parsley, and olive oil.
- 2Pour milk mixture into food processor fitted with chopping blade; process 1 minute.
- 3Set mixture aside to cool to 120* to 130*F.
- 4In large bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups flour, the sugar, yeast, and salt.
- 5With wooden spoon, beat milk mixture into flour mixture until soft dough forms.
- 6Turn dough out onto floured surface.
- 7Knead dough, adding remaining flour as necessary to prevent stickiness, until smooth and elastic-about 5 minutes.
- 8Wash, dry, and lightly oil mixing bowl.
- 9Place dough in oiled bowl, turning to bring oiled side up.
- 10Cover and let dough rise in warm place, away from drafts, until doubled in size-about 50 minutes.
- 11Meanwhile, prepare Tomato-Pepper Spread: In food processor fitted with chopping blade, process, tomatoes,roasted peppers,pine nuts,and garlic 30 seconds or until coarsely pureed.
- 12Lightly grease a large baking sheet and set aside.
- 13With floured rolling pin, roll out dough into an 18-by 12-inch rectangle.
- 14With rubber spatula, spread Tomato-Pepper Spread evenly over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- 15Roll up rectangle into a 12-inch long log.
- 16Transfer log, seam side down, to greased baking sheet; curve into a crescent.
- 17Cover loaf with clean cloth and let rest 20 minutes.
- 18Heat oven to 350*F.
- 19Make Egg Wash: In small bowl, beat together egg and water.
- 20With sharp knife, make 13 deep cuts, about 1 1/2 inches apart, around top of bread.
- 21Brush bread with Egg Wash and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until well browned.
- 22Cool bread completely on wire rack before serving.
- 23(If desired, the bread can be baked, cooled, wrapped in plastic wrap, and frozen for up to 2 weeks.) Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach and Tomato Crescent Bread
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.8
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 17.5 mg
- Sodium 199.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 4.7 g