Recipe by Sharon123
Festive and flavorful, this appealing loaf makes a welcome contribution to a holiday buffet table. Prep time includes rising time.
Top Review by WiGal
Delicious and moist. I love the combination of spinach, red pepper, and tomato! Because there are only two of us, I divided the dough in 2, and rolled out 2 rectangles, split the pesto mixture between the two, and then brought up the sides and ends and flipped it upside down. I also cut slits prior to final rising. I baked both loaves on the same sheet at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. Then I froze the second loaf. Thanks Sharon123 for sharing. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonder game.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup firmly packed spinach leaves
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups unsifted bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package fast-rising active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Dough: in 1-quart saucepan, heat milk until bubbles appear around side of pan; remove from heat and stir in spinach, parsley, and olive oil.
- Pour milk mixture into food processor fitted with chopping blade; process 1 minute.
- Set mixture aside to cool to 120* to 130*F.
- In large bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups flour, the sugar, yeast, and salt.
- With wooden spoon, beat milk mixture into flour mixture until soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface.
- Knead dough, adding remaining flour as necessary to prevent stickiness, until smooth and elastic-about 5 minutes.
- Wash, dry, and lightly oil mixing bowl.
- Place dough in oiled bowl, turning to bring oiled side up.
- Cover and let dough rise in warm place, away from drafts, until doubled in size-about 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare Tomato-Pepper Spread: In food processor fitted with chopping blade, process, tomatoes,roasted peppers,pine nuts,and garlic 30 seconds or until coarsely pureed.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet and set aside.
- With floured rolling pin, roll out dough into an 18-by 12-inch rectangle.
- With rubber spatula, spread Tomato-Pepper Spread evenly over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Roll up rectangle into a 12-inch long log.
- Transfer log, seam side down, to greased baking sheet; curve into a crescent.
- Cover loaf with clean cloth and let rest 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350*F.
- Make Egg Wash: In small bowl, beat together egg and water.
- With sharp knife, make 13 deep cuts, about 1 1/2 inches apart, around top of bread.
- Brush bread with Egg Wash and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until well browned.
- Cool bread completely on wire rack before serving.
- (If desired, the bread can be baked, cooled, wrapped in plastic wrap, and frozen for up to 2 weeks.) Enjoy!