Recipe by CHEF GRPA
This salad has lots of spinach, lots of fresh, sliced strawberries, and a delicious, sweetened oil and vinegar dressing spiked with poppy and sesame seeds.
- 2 bunches spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. In a large bowl, toss together the spinach and strawberries.
- 2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, sugar, paprika, sesame seeds, and poppy seeds. Pour over the spinach and strawberries, and toss to coat.
- My Note: After making it a few times I will say that you can do all these variations and it will be terrific but do NOT put the dressing into the fridge, leave it on the counter! It will not be good, it will get creamy and stay on the salad like PASTE. You can get the spinach (baby spinach is the best) and slice the strawberries with an egg slicer and toss ahead, in the fridge -- but let the dressing sit on the counter, trust me. Then toss immediately before eating. Some time I added candied sliced almonds -- just add almond slices to a frying pan and lightly sugar the almonds, add a few drops of water to this slowly and let it cook for a few minutes. caramelizes to a crisp, sweet. Very hot, be careful. I also added the blue cheese, mentioned by other readers. also.instead of using all that sugar, I substituted some honey for the sugar instead, which helped the dressing stick to the salad. I also halved the sugar and substituted Raspberry Balsamic Vinegar for White Vinegar. Also, left out the seeds(I couldn't find them in the store some times) and used sliced almonds. Delicious.