Recipe by juniperwoman
This sounds like the perfect salad for cool autumn nights. I can't wait to try it! I found it on the Sunset Magazine website.
- 3⁄4 cup hazelnuts
- 1⁄3 cup sherry wine vinegar or 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup hazelnuts or 1⁄3 cup salad oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 pears, rinsed (8 oz. each, should be very firm but ripe)
- 4 quarts baby spinach leaves, rinsed and crisped (1 lb.)
- 1 cup crumbled Stilton cheese (6 oz.) or 1 cup gorgonzola (6 oz.)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 6- to 8-inch frying pan over medium heat, stir hazelnuts often until golden under skins, 5 to 10 minutes. Pour onto a towel and let stand until cool enough to handle. Rub nuts in towel to remove any loose skins. Lift nuts from towel and reserve; discard skins. Coarsely chop nuts.
- In a large bowl, whisk vinegar, oil, and mustard to blend. Cut pears lengthwise into quarters and core; cut quarters lengthwise into thin slices. Drop slices into bowl and mix to coat with dressing. Add spinach and mix gently. Sprinkle with cheese and toasted nuts and mix gently. Add salt and pepper to taste.