1/2 Photos of Spinach and Goat Cheese Shells
1 hr 30 mins
Adapted from Fresh and Healthy DASH Diet Cooking: 101 Delicious Recipes for Lowering Blood Pressure, Losing Weight and Feeling Great by Andrea Lynn. These creamy, cheesy shells are cloaked in Cheddar, mozzarella and low-sodium tomato sauce. I used goat dairy (easier to digest) and changed proportions of the basic elements to use what I had on hand.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 lb jumbo pasta shells
- 18 ounces low fat silken tofu
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, minced finely
- 2 large leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 6 ounces goat cheddar cheese
- 7 ounces goat mozzarella cheese
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained well
- 1Preheat the oven to 350F and grease two 9 x13” oblong pans + a 9” square pan.
- 2Pour a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the pan, set aside.
- 3Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the 2 tbsp of kosher salt.
- 4Add the pasta and cook 8-9 minutes (it will not be completely done). Drain well.
- 5In a large bowl, mash the tofu with the ¼ tsp kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic, leeks, oregano, thyme, parsley, half of each cheese, spinach and 1 cup of the marinara sauce.
- 6Spoon mixture into the shells, placing them in the prepared pan as you go.
- 7Sprinkle with remaining cheese and pour remaining marinara overtop.
- 8Bake for 40 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach and Goat Cheese Shells
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 533.5
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 44.2 mg
- Sodium 2588.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 25.2 g