Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This combines two of my favorite cusines for a great meatless meal complete with a greek salad and a loaf of crusty bread. Recipe submitted for main dish entree in the RSC 6 contest.
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced (6-8)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 (16 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 lb parmesan cheese, shredded, divided
- 1⁄2 lb ricotta cheese (I used part skim)
- 1 teaspoon powdered milk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb phyllo pastry, thawed (the box I used had 40 sheets)
- Melt butter with 1/2 cup oil in a small saucepan and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat saute mushrooms with garlic in 2 tablespoons olive oil until tender (10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in green onions, basil, salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine spinach, parsley and mushroom/onion mixture.
- Squeeze out excess liquid and stir in flour.
- In another large bowl mix together water and powdered milk and then beat in eggs with a fork.
- Stir in feta, ricotta and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheeses.
- Stir to combine Add cheese mixture to vegetable mixture.
- Drain any excess liquid from mixture and then season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees F.
- Butter a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Set aside 8-10 (or about 1/4) phyllo sheets and cover them with plastic wrap and a damp towel.
- Keep the remainder of the phyllo pastry covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel while working with pastry so it won't dry out.
- Brush each phyllo sheet with butter/oil mixture and stack in pan, brushing each with butter/oil mixture before placing in pan, stacking pastry sheet as evenly as possible.
- When all phyllo pastry is stacked in the pan (except for the reserved sheets) spread vegetable/cheese mixture evenly over pastry sheets.
- Then with the remaining pastry sheets, brush each with butter/oil mixture and then place over the spinach/vegetable filling.
- Brush with remaining butter/oil mixture and then sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Make slits in the pastry.
- (I placed the pan on a baking sheet before placing it in the oven).
- Bake for one hour or until done.
- Let sit for ten minutes and then slice into squares, garnishing with parsley sprigs if desired.
Very rich! Salty too! Between the feta cheese & parmesan cheese. Next time I would just top it with a touch of parm. and omit it inside. I used fresh spinach that I cooked with the mushrooms. When I added the flour is when I added the dry milk and left out the water using the spinach juice in it`s place. The feta cheese I used was herbed. I butter can be cut back I had 1/2 a cup left over. I wasn't sure about making slits as you see in the picture I cut all the way through before baking which made it easy to slice at serving time. After 45 minutes baking I turned the oven down to 345 degrees. Didn't want it to brown any more then as you see it! This is an easy recipe to assemble I had a fun time making it. And a good time eating it.