1/5 Photos of Spinach and Cheese Pie
This combines two of my favorite cusines for a great meatless meal complete with a greek salad and a loaf of crusty bread. Recipe submitted for main dish entree in the RSC 6 contest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced (6-8)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 (16 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 lb parmesan cheese, shredded, divided
- 1/2 lb ricotta cheese (I used part skim)
- 1 teaspoon powdered milk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb phyllo pastry, thawed (the box I used had 40 sheets)
- 1Melt butter with 1/2 cup oil in a small saucepan and set aside.
- 2In a large skillet over medium heat saute mushrooms with garlic in 2 tablespoons olive oil until tender (10 minutes).
- 3Remove from heat and stir in green onions, basil, salt and pepper.
- 4Set aside.
- 5In a large bowl combine spinach, parsley and mushroom/onion mixture.
- 6Squeeze out excess liquid and stir in flour.
- 7In another large bowl mix together water and powdered milk and then beat in eggs with a fork.
- 8Stir in feta, ricotta and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheeses.
- 9Stir to combine Add cheese mixture to vegetable mixture.
- 10Drain any excess liquid from mixture and then season with salt and pepper.
- 11Preheat oven to 375-degrees F.
- 12Butter a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- 13Set aside 8-10 (or about 1/4) phyllo sheets and cover them with plastic wrap and a damp towel.
- 14Keep the remainder of the phyllo pastry covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel while working with pastry so it won't dry out.
- 15Brush each phyllo sheet with butter/oil mixture and stack in pan, brushing each with butter/oil mixture before placing in pan, stacking pastry sheet as evenly as possible.
- 16When all phyllo pastry is stacked in the pan (except for the reserved sheets) spread vegetable/cheese mixture evenly over pastry sheets.
- 17Then with the remaining pastry sheets, brush each with butter/oil mixture and then place over the spinach/vegetable filling.
- 18Brush with remaining butter/oil mixture and then sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- 19Make slits in the pastry.
- 20(I placed the pan on a baking sheet before placing it in the oven).
- 21Bake for one hour or until done.
- 22Let sit for ten minutes and then slice into squares, garnishing with parsley sprigs if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach and Cheese Pie
Serving Size: 1 (394 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1171.1
- Calories from Fat 801
- Total Fat 89.0 g
- Saturated Fat 42.9 g
- Cholesterol 326.2 mg
- Sodium 1919.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 40.3 g