Recipe by HokiesMom
A great side dish that is very simple to prepare. Just a nice twist to the normal noodle side dish for a meal. Makes four nice sized servings. I found this in the Simple & Delicious magazine submitted by J. Smith
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg noodles (measure before cooking)
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 2 teaspoons sweet onions, finely chopped
- 6 1⁄2 teaspoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sodium-free seasoning (I used garlic pepper blend)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (if desired, I skipped this)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper (more or less as desired)
- 1 1⁄4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 9 ounces baby spinach leaves (fresh leaves)
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet cook diced bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Stir the flour, seasoning blend,and salt & pepper into the pan drippings until blended; gradually add the milk, whisking well. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add spinach and cook and stir until spinach is wilted.
- Drain noodles and transfer to a serving dish. Add spinach mixture and top with grated Parmesan cheese, tossing to combine. Sprinkle with bacon and onion mixture.
- Serve immediately.