Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
The garden is currently bursting with zucchini and tomatoes and this is one of my favorite ways to use it up. These are cheesy, sweet, salty and spicy all in one bite. I typically have them as a snack but they are also perfect as a side dish.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 8 grape tomatoes, sliced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2⁄3 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove the onion with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds from the middle of the zucchini to make the boats, leaving 1/2 inch of the zucchini intact.
- Season the zucchini boats evenly with salt, pepper and basil. Spread the onions out on top of the zucchini. Place four sliced tomatoes on top of each boat. Top with pepper jack cheese and add another layer of tomatoes. Top with some more pepper jack cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender. Garnish with basil.