Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup sliced mushroom
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and minced
- 3 ounces Contadina tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a heavy large pot heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook onion and red and green bell peppers until soft and golden for about 5 minutes.
- Add mustard seeds and cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes (undrained), kidney beans, pinto beans, mushrooms, carrots, jalapeno, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, cocoa and cinnamon.
- Stir well.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 40 minutes, or until thickened; stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm.
This smelled great, but I was disappointed. The jalepeno pepper overwhelmed all the other flavours that were in here--I'd only use one if I decided to make this again.
This was great! Very tasty, the mustard seeds add interest.